Magisk is one of the most popular methods to root any Android devices. SuperSU was once the go to exploit for rooting Android devices, stock firmware and custom ROMS. The development now continues with new Magisk tool. However, Magisk is much more advanced and matured over the years for a full-fledged rooting software. Some of the features, apart from gaining systemless root access on Android, include – MagiskHide for bypassing root detection, Google’s SafetyNet bypass, third-party modules support, etc. The developer, topjohnwu, just released a new version of Magisk v21.0 today with official Android 11 support. So download and install stable Magisk 21.0 zip and latest Magisk Manager v8.0.0 APK.
Latest Magisk v21 brings official support for Android 11. Now you can gain root access on most of the smartphones and tablets running Android 11 from various manufacturers. This includes Google’s Pixel lineup, Oxygen OS 11 for OnePlus phones, MIUI 12 for Xiaomi devices, One UI 3.0 from Samsung, ColorOS 11, and much more. It also includes custom ROMS like Lineage OS 18 and AOSP based Android 11 GSI builds for Project Treble devices.
What Is Magisk Manager?
Magisk Manager is the application same as SuperSU which is pre-installed on your device after you have rooted your Android device. If you want to use the magisk manager you can unroot your device and then root it with the help flashing Magisk-v20.zip or else you can install the magisk manager application and do the system less rooting on your device.
There are many questions raised, and people has a query that is How to root with magisk? The rooting procedure is simple, and you need a custom recovery installed on your device. If you have the custom recovery, then you can root your Android device by flashing the Magisk-v20.zip file.
Magisk V/S SuperSU
If you root your device with the help of magisk, then the magisk won’t do any changes in your system files. Magisk will modify the boot.img to magisk.img. Magisk won’t add any files in your system files.
When SuperSU roots your device, it will do the changes in the System files and also adds some files in the system partition. If you install SuperSU, you won’t be getting any OTA updates or any financial application won’t work on your device.
How Magisk Manager Works?
Magisk works systemless-ly, and it doesn’t modify or alter your system partition. If you want to install a banking application or if you want to install official OTA updates, and much more. You can install the OTA updates without losing the root privileges, and that is everyone need. They don’t need to root again and again.
Magisk roots your Android device and it is based on phh’s SuperUser. Magisk is an open source rooting solution for Android. If you want to install magisk, then you can do so with the help of Magisk Manager application.
Magisk has Universal Systemless Interface. It means that if you want to create your mod or app, you can do so with the help of magisk. Magisk is mostly same as Xposed Framework and in the Xposed framework, there are different modules which you can install on your device.
Unfortunately, the Xposed framework is not available for Android Nougat. You can use the Magisk Manager on your device, and the Xposed Framework is mixed into it, and you can install some modules on your device with the help of magisk manager. You can hide root from other applications.
How To Download And Install Magisk Manager
- Download the zip file from the link below.
- Place the zip file in your internal storage. Make sure that you remember the proper location of the zip file.
- Reboot your phone into recovery ensure that you have a custom recovery such as TWRP is installed on your phone.
- Now, click on the Install button in the TWRP recovery.
- Navigate the Magisk-v20.4zip on your internal storage or SD card.
- Now, install the zip file on your device and wait till it is getting installed on your device.
- You have successfully flashed the Magisk-v20.zip on your device.
- Reboot your phone and see if it works on your device.
- Download the magisk manager application from the link given below.
- Install the application by following the above procedure.
- Open it and then you will see magisk is installed on your Android device.
Note: Make sure that you take a complete backup of your Android device before following this procedure.
The latest build also includes all of your favorite features from previous builds like Magisk v20.4 with official support for the Android 10 OS update. It also tweaked the MagiskSU (supersu) for better root support on several Android devices. The developer also brought major changes to the root structure and the way Magisk hides root detection on Android phones. With Magisk v20, you get a full proof solution for root hide (or root detection) for banking apps, Google Pay, Samsung Pay on rooted devices. SafetyNet bypass is already implemented with the latest version of Android 11, 10, 9.0 Pie, 8 Oreo, 7.0/7.1 Nougat, Marshmallow or earlier.
Magisk Manager APK also got an update to build 8.0.0. Magisk 21.0 brings a number of stability improvements and bug fixes. You can checkout all the technical details from the changelog below.
Update log for Magisk v21.0 (stable):
- [General] Support Android 11 🎉
- [General] Add Safe Mode detection. Disable all modules when the device is booting into Safe Mode.
- [General] Increase
post-fs-datamode timeout from 10 seconds to 40 seconds
- [MagiskInit] Rewritten 2SI support from scratch
- [MagiskInit] Support when no
/sbinfolder exists (Android 11)
- [MagiskInit] Dump fstab from device-tree to rootfs and force
initto use it for 2SI devices
- [MagiskInit] Strip out AVB for 2SI as it may cause bootloop
- [Modules] Rewritten module mounting logic from scratch
- [MagiskSU] For Android 8.0+, a completely new policy setup is used. This reduces compromises in Android’s sandbox, providing more policy isolation and better security for root users.
- [MagiskSU] Isolated mount namespace will now first inherit from parent process, then isolate itself from the world
- [MagiskSU] Update communication protocol with Magisk Manager to work with the hardened SELinux setup
- [MagiskPolicy] Optimize match all rules. This will significantly reduce policy binary size and save memory and improve general kernel performance.
- [MagiskPolicy] Support declaring new types and attributes
- [MagiskPolicy] Make policy statement closer to stock
*.teformat. Please check updated documentation or
magiskpolicy --helpfor more details.
- [MagiskBoot] Support compressed
- [MagiskBoot] Pad boot images to original size with zeros
- [MagiskHide] Manipulate additional vendor properties
Download Magisk 21.0
Following are the direct download links right from the Github repository of the project.
- Latest (Magisk-v21.0.zip) | Source
- Latest Uninstaller (Magisk-uninstaller-20201003.zip)
- Latest Magisk Manager (MagiskManager-v8.0.0.apk download) | Source
Use either the stable or beta Magisk v21+ zip and flash it via TWRP recovery to root Android devices running Android 9.0 Pie, 8.0/8.1 Oreo, 7.0/7.1 Nougat, Marshmallow or earlier. You may also need to install Magisk Manager APK after you have booted into the system.
In case you don’t want Magisk or want to completely unroot your Android phone, then flash the Magisk uninstaller zip via TWRP recovery.