Mi 11 is the latest smartphone from Xiaomi and there are 3 to 4 phones in the series. Xiaomi recently released Mi 11 Ultra and Mi 11 Lite kernel source. It means you can now modify your phone as you want, like rooting. Xiaomi is a quite popular brand among developers. It means Mi 11 phones will get many custom ROMs and Recoveries. But for now, you can root your Mi 11 Ultra for more features. Here you will know how to root Mi 11 Ultra and how to unlock bootloader Mi 11 Ultra.
Xiaomi Mi 11 series comes with some great features and adding more controls will let you increase the performance even more. The Mi 11 Ultra is the premium variant in the series. It features a big 6.81-inch AMOLED display. Other features include the latest Snapdragon 888 processor, Adreno 660 GPU, 8/12GB RAM, 256/512GB storage, Triple rear camera (50+48+48 MP), and more.
Mi 11 Ultra is a top-performing device and with root access, it can even do better. However, you need to manually tweak your device with modules. Also, root access allows you to use restricted features. You can use this article to root any Mi 11 phone with the condition that you have to use the correct files. In this guide, you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Mi 11 Ultra along with the root guide.
How to Root Mi 11 Ultra
The root concept for Android phones has been around for many years and in the early days of Android, rooting was easier. But now things have changed as Android is now more secure which means rooting is tougher. Fortunately, you can still root your phone but with a complex process. But it is worth your efforts as it brings advanced features and customizations. You can apply custom fonts, custom boot animation, third-party themes, and more. But for rooting first you need to unlock bootloader of Mi 11 Ultra. So, let’s start with the bootloader guide.
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra Unlock Bootloader
Xiaomi phones ship with locked bootloader which means you cannot root your phone by default. So, the first step would be unlocking bootloader of your phone. Luckily Xiaomi allows its users to unlock bootloader of their phones with a simple process. It means you can also unlock bootloader of Mi 11 Utra. So, let’s jump into the unlock bootloader steps.
- Unlocking bootloader will wipe all the data from your phone. So first take a full backup of your phone.
- You will need Mi Unlock Tool, so download it from the official website. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your Mi 11 and log in to Mi Account. Then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Then in Settings, go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Open Settings again and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In the developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn on the internet connection on Mi 11 Ultra with the same number that you used in the Mi account. Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then power off your device then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Mi 11 Ultra into Fastboot mode. When the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone release both buttons.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Mi 11 Ultra.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Mi 11 Ultra, and this will erase all the data.
Once you unlock the bootloader, you can confirm it from Developer Options in Settings. The OEM unlocking must be enabled. This is the pass if you want to root your phone. And after unlocking bootloader, you can begin rooting steps. Make sure to follow requirements.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Mi 11 Ultra firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra with Magisk
Here we will be using the Magisk tool to root Mi 11. Magisk is the promising tool that lets you root Android phone system-less. Recently Magisk got a major update and the steps also changed a little bit. And as you know rooting can break your phone, so make sure you are rooting at your own risk. Let’s jump into the steps.
- First, extract the boot.img file from Mi 11 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Mi 11 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right-click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Mi 11.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
To confirm the root access, you can install any root checker app. Open the app and provide root authorization in the prompt. Once you have root access you can enjoy many apps and features that require root access.