OnePlus 9 is the latest flagship series from OnePlus. There are three phones in the series including the OnePlus 9R, OnePlus 9, and OnePlus 9 Pro. The phone packs some amazing specs. And if you don’t know, OnePlus is one of the custom developers favorite. And recently OnePlus releases its kernel source which means it will soon start getting custom ROM and Recoveries. But you can root OnePlus 9 right away. Here you will know how to root OnePlus 9 Pro and How to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9 Pro.
This guide will work for all three models including the standard OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9R. So if you have any of the OnePlus 9 phones you can follow this guide but make sure to use the required files for your phone. OnePlus 9 Pro comes with the latest set of hardware and right now it comes under the best Android phones. Some OnePlus 9 Pro highlights are Snapdragon 888 processor, Adreno 660 GPU, OxygenOS 11, 8GB & 12GB RAM, 128GB & 256GB storage.
OnePlus devices are popular among custom developers and soon OnePlus 9 will also start receiving custom development works like custom ROMs, recoveries, kernels, mods, and a lot more. But since the phone just started shipping, you may have to wait a little bit for these projects, but you can root your phone right away. So, we are here with the OnePlus 9 Pro Root guide. Here you will also know how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9 Pro.
How to Root OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus phones are easy to root as compared to a few other brands. And since there is a flash tool available for OnePlus phones, you can take risks for rooting your phone. You can use the flash tool to fix your phone in case of any issue. Rooting is not an easy task, but Magisk app makes it easier if you follow the correct steps. But you cannot directly root your phone by default. So first we will share how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9 (Pro).
OnePlus 9 Pro Unlock Bootloader
OnePlus phones come with locked bootloader by default. And it restricts users from modifying their phones. It means you won’t be able to root or install custom ROM on your phone. Fortunately, the OEM allows users to unlock bootloader with a simple process. OnePlus unlocking process is simple and easy. So, if you want to root your phone you have to unlock the bootloader first. Let’s start the guide with how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9 Pro.
- Take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader of OnePlus 9 (Pro) will delete all data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus 9 and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- In About Phone, you will see Build Number, so tap about 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In the developer option, enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging. Also, enable the Advance reboot option under developer options.
- Long press Power button and it will show some options, click on three dots and select bootloader. You can also boot into fastboot by using shortcut buttons.
- The OnePlus 9 will now boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode.
- When the phone is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. Enter the below command to check the device connectivity with the computer. It will give some device id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone. Now use the Volume buttons to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- The unlock process will remove all data. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the unlocking.
- Set up your device and enjoy OnePlus 9 with unlocked bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader of the OnePlus 9, confirm it from the developer options. Make sure the OEM unlocking is enabled, and once the bootloader is unlocked, you are all set to root your phone. Let’s start with the requirements.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC (Or Download Platform Tools)
- Android SDK Platform Tools for Windows
- Android SDK Platform Tools for macOS
- Android SDK Platform Tools for Linux
- Download firmware for your OnePlus phone (The same version that is installed on your phone)
- Some apps may not work including banking apps
Steps to Root OnePlus 9 (Pro) with Magisk
There are many reasons to root an Android phone. Rooting brings many advance features to the device. And if you like the customization it also allows custom fonts, custom boot animation, third-party themes, and more. Here in this guide, we are going to use the Magisk application for rooting OnePlus 9. So, let’s jump into the steps to root OnePlus 9 Pro.
- First, extract the boot.img file from OnePlus 9 series firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your OnePlus 9 Pro to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root OnePlus 9 phones.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After following the above steps, you can check for root access. Install any root checker from Play Store, it will show the root status on your phone. And if you have successfully rooted your OnePlus 9 phone, you can enjoy many advanced features. If you like customization, then you can try different Xposed Modules on the OnePlus 9 Pro.
So that’s all on how to root OnePlus 9 phones and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9 phones. If you have a OnePlus phone, you can check out more guides on OnePlus.